Military Benefits

Applications and Forms
Audit and CE Tracking
Board Meetings
CD Counselor Licensure Requirements
Continuing Education
Curriculum Endorsement
Examination Process
Gambling Endorsement
Laws & Rules
Licensure Verification
Military Benefits
Prevention Professional
The Board
Contact Us

If you or your spouse is a veteran or current member of the Armed Forces of the United States, the following information is provided to help you in obtaining an initial Ohio license/certificate and when renewing your Ohio license/certificate.

The Armed Forces of the United States includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or any reserve components of those forces. It also includes the National Guard of any state, the commissioned corps of the United States Public Health Service, the Merchant Marine Service (during wartime), or the Ohio Organized Militia when engaged in full-time national guard duty for a period of more than thirty (30) days.

A veteran is any person who completed service in the Armed Forces who has been discharged under honorable conditions or who has been transferred to the reserve with evidence of satisfactory service.


In accordance with Ohio Revised Code section 5903.03, the Board has adopted rules specifying the military programs of training, military primary specialties, and lengths of service that are substantially equivalent to or exceed the educational and experience requirements for licensure.

Ohio Administrative Code Rule 4758-17-01

Additionally the Board has developed a Crosswalk to assist in determining eligibility for a license/certificate.

Crosswalk Table Summarizing Veterans' Pathway to Licensure/Certification
License Renewal


Individuals or spouses of individuals who are veterans or members of the armed forces may have their application expedited by completing the Military Request Application Addendum and returning it with their application and documentation of military service.

Military Request Application Addendum


Ohio Revised Code section 5903.10 deals with renewal of a license/certificate.

Who Does This Section Apply To?

Licensees who are serving in the Armed Forces of the United States
Licensees who are the spouse of an individual serving in the Armed Forces of the United States, whose service resulted in the licensee's absence from Ohio

What Does This Section Do?
Allows a licensee whose license expired due to active military service to renew the license at the usual cost without penalty or re-examination, provided that the licensee is not otherwise disqualified due to mental or physical disability.

Note: This provision does not extend the expiration date of a license. It only allows for the renewal of an expired license without penalty. If you are required to have an active license for your military position, you will need to renew your license prior to your expiration date. If you will be deployed prior to the opening of your renewal period, please contact the Board to make arrangements to renew your license early.

What Documentation is Required?
Documentation that the licensee or licensee's spouse, whichever is applicable, has been discharged under honorable conditions or released under honorable conditions from active duty or national guard duty within six (6) months after the discharge or release.
Continuing Education


Ohio Revised Code section 5903.121 deals with the using of military training, education, or service to meet the continuing education requirements.

Who Does This Section Apply To?
Licensees who are members of the Armed Forces of the United States.

What Does This Section Do?
Requires the Board to consider relevant education, training, or service completed by the licensee as a member of the Armed Forces in determining whether the licensee has met the continuing education requirements needed to renew the license.

What Documentation is Required?
Evidence or documentation of the education, training, or service.
Temporary License for Military Spouse


Ohio Revised Code section 4743.04 deals with temporary licenses/certificates for military spouses.

Who Does This Section Apply To?
Applicants for licensure/certification whose spouse is on active military duty in Ohio.

What Does This Section Do?
Authorizes the Board to issue a temporary military spousal license/certificate.

What Documentation is Required?
Applicants must submit the Temporary Credential Request for Active Duty Service Member Spouses Application and all documents required in the application. These documents include:

  • Documentation of the spouse's active duty status in Ohio and documentation of the projected length of the active duty service
  • A copy of the service member and spouse's marriage license
  • A copy of the license or certificate authorizing the individual to provide services in alcohol or other drug prevention or treatment in their home jurisdiction
  • A copy of the current scope of practice for the licensee or certificate from their home jurisdiction
  • A copy of the license or certificate requirements which were in place in their home jurisdiction at the time the license or certificate was issued.
  • The $25 application fee

Temporary Credential Request for Active Duty Service Member Spouses Application
Additional Resources


Please visit the Ohio Department of Veterans Services ( for additional resources for veterans, service members, and military spouses.