The Board no longer accepts paper applications. All applications must be completed online.
Online applications are reviewed in the order of “date submitted”. The review process can take up to 40 business days from the date of receipt due to the vast number of applications we receive.
Fresh Start 2019 - Please see the Board's Position Statement on Disqualifying Criminal Convictions
Continuing Education: Applicants applying for a Treatment credential must complete courses that are approved by the Board’s CEU approval process or another authorized CE entity. The education provider must reference the name and approval number for the formal approval body on the CE certificates. College or University courses may also be used to meet the education requirements but do not need to be pre-approved by the Board or another authorized entity.
To apply for a certificate, license or endorsement with the Board:
- Navigate to the e-License Portal. The e-License Portal is most compatible with Google Chrome or the latest version of other internet browsers.
- Register/Login to your Dashboard and select the "Apply for a New License" link.
- You will be required to upload and attach all required forms. (PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ/VIEW ALL OF THE MATERIAL THOROUGHLY.)
- You will be required to pay the $50 application fee ($35 if you are converting from an LCDC II or an OCPS to a higher license/certificate).
- Official Transcripts are required and may be sent to the Transcripts Only E-mail TRANSCRIPTS ONLY E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail.
- It can take up to 40 business days to process applications.
- Please monitor your email account for any communication from the Board asking for additional information needed to complete the processing of your application.
- When your license or certificate is awarded make sure you download and print your certificate from your elicense portal. Licenses/Certificates are NOT mailed. They are provided at the time of approval for download at no cost. Additional certificates after that time must be requested from your portal dashboard as duplicates for a fee.
CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY COUNSELOR REQUIREMENTS/FORM
- A completed Master's degree in a behavioral science or Nursing that contains a minimum of 40 semester hours earned with documentation of coursework in ten specific content areas on the Masters Education Grid
- **IMPORTANT** Before you apply, make sure your Master's Degree meets requirements per OAC 4758-5-05(A),(1)
- Completion of online application in e-license
- An official college transcript must come directly to the Board from your College or University by mail or sent to our TRANSCRIPTS ONLY email email@example.com. The application will request you to upload a transcript, please upload a document stating your transcripts are ordered but do NOT upload a transcript in elicense.
- *One year (2,000 hours) of chemical dependency counseling related work experience compensated work or **supervised internship/practicum (**must be noted as a course on your transcript). Verification of these hours is completed online by your supervisor.
- *Practical work experience hours in the twelve core functions (220 hours) expected to be completed during an applicant's chemical dependency counseling work experience and can be part of the 2000 hours of related work experience requirements. (see Core Functions below). Verification of these hours is completed online by your supervisor.
- A job description identifying clinical functions signed by your Clinical Supervisor(s) .If you are using more than one job experience for your work experience hours you must have a signed job description for each one, including supervised internships/practicums.
- Chemical dependency specific education (180 hours) in the nine specific content areas filled out on the CD specific education grid with accompanying certificates and/or transcript. CD specific education content areas.
- Successful completion of the ADC examination, or completion of Examination Waiver Form
FOR LICDC LICENSE APPLICATIONS:
*Verification of work experience hours and hours in the Core functions is completed online in the elicense system by a supervisor AFTER an application is submitted. The supervisor completing this documentation must have a scope of practice to supervise the work performed (see Board statement on Work Experience).
Supervisors cannot view applications to report work experience if the application has not been submitted in e-license. Supervisors can not submit work experience on license/certificate accounts, only on APPLICATION Accounts recognized by APP- and a series of numbers.
Instructions for Supervisors to complete online verification can be found:
Core Functions include: Screening, Intake, Orientation, Assessment, Treatment Planning, Counseling :Individual, Group, Family, Case Management, Crisis Intervention, Client Education, Referral, Reports and Record Keeping, Consultation with other Professionals.
FORMS FOR LICENSE APPLICATIONS:
180 hours Chemical Dependency Specific Education – can be completed with college courses and/or CEU certificates from Board approved authorized entities. If using college education for CD Specific Education Content Area : One semester hour = 15 clock hours or One quarter hour = 10 clock hours.
Additionally, LICDC must also complete:
OUT OF STATE WORK EXPERIENCE - Verification of Clinical Work performed Out of State cannot be completed online and must be documented by valid clinical supervisors on the following forms, and submitted with the application.